Every year, LDAWE likes to take a moment to thank our volunteers. What better time to do that, than National Volunteer Week?
LDAWE is fortunate to have amazing volunteers. We typically have between 50-60 volunteers on an annual basis who dedicate their time to improving the lives of people living with learning disabilities or ADHD. The people who volunteer for us include parents of children with learning disabilities or ADHD, youth or adults with disabilities, our current staff members, post-secondary students entering the fields of psychology or special education, and professionals such as educators, registered psychologists, etc…
The types of activities are volunteers participate in include:
- being a member of our Board and various Committees (including the Special Education Advisory Committees for the local school boards and the Pay Attention and Learn Task Force);
- providing administrative support;
- developing program content or assisting with the facilitation of programs;
- conducting low cost psychological assessments for our clients;
- providing general maintenance services;
- assisting at our various fundraising events, public awareness events, workshops, and conferences; and
- sharing their thoughts and expertise on this blog!
Our volunteers often share with our staff members how rewarding it is to volunteer for LDAWE. One of our volunteers, Kayla Belanger, was recently featured in a special insert to the Windsor Star about her volunteer experience. In part, Kayla states:
“Originally, volunteering was simply a way to gain more experience for my future career, but it soon became much more. I love to see the students’ progress. I have the opportunity to see students form social relationships with their peers that they often do not have the ability to do in the regular classroom.”
This year, in order to recognize the contribution our volunteers make to the organization, we are hosting an Ice Cream Social on Thursday, April 16, 2015. Each of our volunteers are offered a complimentary ticket to the event as our way of saying thank you. The general public is also welcome to attend this event. Tickets are $10/adult and $5/child (10 years of age and younger). There are still a limited number of seats available, please click here for details.
If you are interested in volunteering for LDAWE, please go to our website and complete the Volunteer Application Form.