Wow, here at LDAWE, we can’t believe that the first 3 weeks of our Summer Enrichment Camps are already complete! Don’t forget, the Campers at both sites have been sharing their thoughts, feelings, and activities throughout the week on our Twitter feed and on Facebook, so please follow these feeds to get the most up-to-date information about what’s happening during the week.
Week 3 in Essex: The Wacky World of Science
During the week, the campers practiced their literacy, math, and adaptive technology skills using computers, iPads, a Smart Board, and various games. This week the campers were very busy conducting science experiments and learning about different types of science. This included:
- Learning about geology while making volcanoes out of paper-mache and watching them erupt (see the video below),
- Making gooey slime when they were chemists,
- Learning how to clean up oil spills when they were marine biologists,
- Making circuits when they were electrical engineers, and
- Learning about aerodynamics while making paper airplanes.
The most inspiring quote of the week comes from Alyssa:
- “Never, never give up! My airplane won first place because it went the farthest!”
The theme for next week’s Summer Enrichment Camp in Essex is the Superhero Academy. Don’t forget, next week’s Camp runs from Tuesday – Friday due to the Civic Holiday on Monday.
Week 3 in Windsor: The Amazing Race World Challenge
During the week, the campers practiced their literacy, math, and adaptive technology skills using computers, iPads, the Smart Board, and various games. They became world travellers while visiting Mexico, Egypt, and China. By the time they got back to Canada, they were exhausted and jet lagged! Good thing they each made scrapbooks of their journey, so they can remember what they accomplished while on their travels.
Throughout the week, the campers competed in the LDAWE version of the TV show, The Amazing Race. Working in pairs, the campers completed academic challenges in 7 minute intervals. When a pair hit a roadblock, they had to complete a physical challenge. The campers won awards for completing various challenges. Congratulations to Trina and Dorothea, who were the winners of the LDAWE Amazing Race World Challenge!
Here’s some of the quotes from the campers:
- “I like how we have to work with teammates and compete against others at the same time!” – Trina
- “I liked learning about the Mexican tribes!” – Michael W.
- “I really like the roadblock challenges!” – Connor
- “It’s awesome how we do challenges and try to get more points than the other teams.” – Daniella
- “I love this game!” (while playing math war with her teammate) – Micah
The theme for next week’s Summer Enrichment Camp in Windsor is Lights, Camera, Action!. Don’t forget, next week’s Camp runs from Tuesday – Friday due to the Civic Holiday on Monday.
For more information about our programs, check out our website at www.ldawe.ca.